Friday 26 April 2013

Spring breakfast: smoothies!


I really know what Jamie Cullum means when he sings
...If I ruled the world 
Every day would be the first day of spring...
It really is like a fresh start. Everything blooms and somehow I cannot pass any trees that are blooming quietly, I have to shout at everyone around me 'oh my goodness look at that!!' And those priceless surprised faces expecting something really exciting suddenly looking that direction for a few moments, until they turn grim after realising I am getting over-excited about.. a tree.


Speaking of Jamie Cullum, I have been starting (or coming back to) new things, like jazz music.



Also, realising that soon there will be a need to reveal more flesh, therefore sport is back. Back for good. Definitely. Hopefully.

And something really exciting for a person who thinks of food every 10 seconds (I am not joking), a new breakfast routine!! Basically, breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. I'm not usually very hungry in the morning, but I just love all the breakfast meals! I wish I could eat breakfast all day (shhh, don't tell anyone, but sometimes I do). And I'm usually quite good with my breakfasts: I feel good about myself after eating something healthy and I always try to start the day right. 

But recently, I have started making smoothies! And oh my goodness, it is a proper wake-up from the winter, it is so refreshing and light! A bit too light for Hugo, who has a 'proper' breakfast alongside the smoothie, but it's just right for me as a fresh start. And it's different every day!

This is a 'TROPICAL' smoothie I made for Hugo and myself a couple of days ago:
Ingredients:
1 banana
1/4 pineapple
1/8 yellow melon (make sure you get the juicy part just next to the seeds in - it's delicious!)
coconut yoghurt
flax seeds (optional)
bran (optional)

put everything in a blender, blitz until smooth and give it a taste. Perhaps you need more sweetness? Add more honey/sugar/maple syrup, if you need more acidity - add some lime/lemon juice, you could add some coconut cream, nuts, coconut shreds, different fruit.... Anything!



I personally don't really like bananas, so when I make one for myself, a great substitute for that beautiful thickness is a kiwi fruit. Also, a really nice combo tried in Israel - papaya with carrot juice. 

Other suggestions:
ice
any fruit (pears, apples, plums, oranges, nectarines, mangoes, papayas...)
berries (strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries...)
some vegetables (fresh mange tout beans, spinach, carrots, beetroot.. - be careful with the quantities)
coconut/cow/soya/almond/goat milk (/yoghurt)
cocoa powder
liqueur, like Baileys (maybe not for breakfast..)
caramel
nuts/seeds (if your blender is strong enough)

Any other ideas guys??
Also, what things have you started / came back to this spring?

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about thinking of food every 10 sec! Its like a virus i swear! Everywhere I go, am thinking food, food, food. And am not even hungry! I guess that y we are foodies lol! I love the idea of a smoothie for breakfast. its also time saving you know, I can just drink it on way to work instead of sitting to have breakfast! Plus it has alot of fiber and that's gotta be good! Thanks for sharing Ruta :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. i love the cute little yellow flower. Its so spring-y

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Aya!! You can also make it quicker by chopping up all your fruit on a Sunday and just keeping it in boxes, and when workday breakfasts come around you can just pop them into the blender, it saves so much time!

    ReplyDelete